Requirements to Obtain a Marriage License
- Both parties must be present to apply.
- Both parties must be over 18 years old.
- 17 year olds may obtain a marriage license with both proof of legal emancipation AND
proof of at least 6 hours of pre-marital counseling by a licensed counselor. Also, the ages between the parties cannot exceed 4 years.
- Both parties must have proper, valid identification (Driver's License, U.S. Passport, or Birth Certificate and Photo ID).
- If either party has been previously married, bring a copy of the Final Divorce Decree or Death Certificate if spouse is deceased.
(If you were divorced in Muscogee County, you can obtain copies of your divorce documents on the 2nd floor of the Government Center in the Superior Court Clerk's office.)
Cost of Marriage License - $56.00 OR $16.00 with proof of at least 6 hours of pre-marital counseling.
Cash, debit or credit card (for an additional fee), money order or cashiers check
(no personal checks). This does not include any certified copies.
Certified Copies of Marriage Licenses and Marriage License Applications are $10.00 per copy and can be purchased once the marriage has taken place and the
original Marriage License has been returned to Probate Court staff for recording.
Acceptable methods of payment are CASH, DEBIT OR CREDIT CARD (for an additional fee), or MONEY ORDERS ONLY.
Getting Married in the Courthouse
In order to get married by a Judge at the Courthouse, you MUST already have your Marriage License. Ceremonies are performed at the days/times listed below:
Monday: NO CEREMONIES
Tuesday: 3:00 PM
Wednesday: NO CEREMONIES
Thursday: 3:00 PM
Friday: 11:00Am and 3:00 PM
**Please note that while we typically have a Judge available, these times are NOT guaranteed, and you should call the Court to confirm the Judges’ availability if you want to ensure specific date/time**
To Request a Certified Copy of your Marriage License
You may mail us in a written request for the certified copy. Please include:
Our Mailing Address is:
- The date of marriage.
- The full name of both parties on the marriage license.
- A return address so we can mail the copy back to you.
- $10 money order (made payable to Probate Court) per certified copy.
P.O. Box 1340
Columbus, GA 31902
Click the button below to request copies online:
- Copies will be mailed to you within 5 business days. (Note: No documents are available to print at home or be picked up in person.)
- Credit card payment only